Life is crazy. I’ve moved back to the city and Wednesday was my first day back at the Exercise Science program. It feels strange to be back…but it’s good. I haven’t been around much on the internet, because not only has it been busy getting my little self organized, but I haven’t had internet (and sadly, still don’t!), so it’s been just snatches here and there. This Wednesday, a guy is coming in to finally install whatever it is that needs installing.
During that time, I’ve also got a job working front desk at a gym…so while it’s fun and I’m thankful to God for the extra income, it’s been a bit busier. They’re short staffed right now, so I’ve got more hours than I was originally planning on, but it’s all good. I’m excited too (as obviously noted below).
I feel like I’ve learned a lot, even since last semester, about nutrition and keeping yourself healthy/fit when you’re busy. I’ve actually lost some weight since then, as well…so I’m keen on keeping it off. That being the case, I wanted to share some tips and tricks that I’ve been doing the last several months and things I plan on doing to keep myself healthy (and keep from added weight).
1. Protein in the centre of my meals. I either eat it with carbs or with healthy fats. I’m very sugar conscious and keep my diet on a lower glycemic side. I eat very similar to this book’s philosophy. I’m sure I’ll do posts on this in the future.
2. Reduced the amount of grains on my plate. This also is because of my low sugar approach. I’m a big fan of quinoa and high-fibre breads, flatbreads, and wraps though!
3. Drink a crazy amount of herbal tea/water. This will not only keep you feeling full, but it keeps you hydrated and keeps those stress headaches at bay. Green tea, yerba mate, and oolong tea are my current favourites…chilled or hot, they’re fabulous. For extra yum, I often add a little NuNaturals stevia and some almond milk.
4. Play outdoors as much as possible. I spent a lot of my summer playing volleyball and doing some running. There’s something about fresh air while you work out…it’s just fun!
As for plans for keeping fit/healthy this semester, here is what’s going down:
5. Meal planning. Yup. This is happening. I’m used to doing life freestyle, but I think this time, I need to get myself together and plan for the week (look forward to some posts about this). After I plan my week, then I write a grocery list and then get the items on that list. Not only does it save money, but it keeps you stuck to the healthy stuff you’re are planning on eating. No waste.
6. Meal prep. This definitely comes next. Make up all those lunches and snacks and refrigerate them (even label them for certain days). All in all, it saves time, but also keeps you completely on track with your diet. Just don’t forget to pack it!
7. Biking and walking. I live really close to grocery stores, my work, and my college…so I’m mostly walking or biking to all those places. All that activity adds up…and while we’re on the subject, run up those school stairs…don’t just walk. Make it all count. When you don’t need to sit, stand.
8. Study while you workout. It doesn’t have to be hardcore. Just walk on the treadmill or cycle slowly on a stationary bike while you’re reading your notes. Sometimes I record my lecture notes on my iPod and then listen to them while I walk to class.
9. Try not to eat too much before bed. This is something I will always work at. I can’t stand being hungry, so if I’m hungry before bed I WILL eat…but I’m more talking about the mindless snacking that we can say bye too. Or at least replace that with raw veggies, plain yogurt, or tea.
There’s some of my tips! Looking forward to posting more once this internet is set up!
Are any of you back in school for the fall? Got any tips to keep away the dreaded Freshman 15?
3 Responses to “9 Tips to Avoid the Dreaded Freshman 15”
Leave a comment...I'd love to hear from you!