Can you believe it…August has started and so has the COLOURFUL SMOOTHIE CHALLENGE! Yay!
I’ve been loving all your check-ins so far and posted a video on Instagram of today’s smoothie. Who says eating healthy is no fun?!
Since I was very young, I did a lot of research on health/nutrition/fitness and learned mostly through books (and internet). The search for knowledge never ends though and I feel like I’m still just beginning to learn! I’ve been down on eating high-sugar diet for years, but I didn’t realize how high my diet was in sugar…mostly because I ate a LOT of high-sugar fruits and an abundance of maple syrup, agave, and raw honey.
There is nothing wrong with fruit or any of those natural sweeteners…but how much you eat them can be a problem…and I know that I ate too much of that wonderful, natural sugar.
For the last several months, I’ve been sticking to a lower glycemic lifestyle with my food…and I flipping love it. I have been eating very little gluten, higher fat, and lower carb (NEVER without carbs – I LOVE my carbs and I don’t think it’s healthy to leave them completely out).
Anyway, in an attempt to keep my blood sugar levels lower I compiled a list of 15 low sugar smoothies I want to try. For this challenge, I really didn’t want my blood sugar levels to sky rocket every single time I consumed a banana and date smoothie. Even though ingredients like bananas or dates sound ultra healthy, they signal your pancreas to release insulin. Insulin allows glucose to be taken into the cells and while you need some of that…if there’s too much the glucose has to go somewhere….so it ends up being stored as fat.
Simply put: You need sugar, but you don’t need much.
I’ve also been learning about things that slow the sugar rush – lots of fibre and protein.
Anyway, back to the initial point I was trying to make before I starting following bunny trails. This month, as I drink my smoothie a day, I want to focus on LOW SUGAR SMOOTHIES.
So I scoured the internet for smoothies and I wanted to share the love with you.
1. Green Smoothie Recipes from Pure2Raw
3. Blueberry “Jelly Bean” Milkshake by Walking in Light
4. Sugar Free Grasshopper Frappa by Coffee, Courage, Clothes 4 Christ
5. Sugar Free Healthy Frappucino by Healthy Indulgences
6. Strawberry Vanilla Coconut Smoothie by Tropical Traditions
7. Faux Protein Frosty by Meals and Moves Blog
8. Coconut Chai Milkshakes by Chocolate Covered Katie
9. French Toast Protein Shake by Dashing Dish
10. Peanut Butter and Jelly Protein Shake by Dashing Dish
12. Trim Healthy Mama Strawberry Milkshake by Simply Healthy Home
13. Low Fat Blueberry Protein Smoothie by SugarFreeMom
Let me know if you try any of these! I don’t even know which one to make first because they all look so good!
What do you think about high-sugar fruits/foods? Do you have a low-sugar smoothie recipe to share with me? Feel free to share links!
20 Responses to “15 Low Sugar Smoothie Recipes”
Leave a comment...I'd love to hear from you!