I used to be a crazy gum lover.
In fact, when I was a teenager I would chew gum every night to help me get to sleep. Yes, that is a strange habit.
Then, I noticed that I was getting more headaches. Curious, I started to do a little research about gum. What I found was enough to make me break the habit. That…and being fed up with waking up with gum in my hair.
I learned about aspartame.
Here are some reasons I don’t appreciate aspartame:
- It has been traced to causing cancer
- Causes headaches
- Seems to play a role in Multiple Sclerosis and Systematic Lupus
- Causes symptoms like depression, cramps, numbness, anxiety attacks, memory loss, dizziness, joint pain, and spasms
- Changes the brain chemistry (here’s a great, but scary article about aspartame’s effect on the brain)
- Tooth damage (yet it’s in gum?)
I could go on (there is a ton of great research about it), but really…the reasons I mentioned are enough for me.
While I still have the odd piece of gum I try to keep it a rare or else buy a natural brand like Spry, Glee, or find gum that doesn’t use aspartame. Not gonna lie, I really like having gum when I have sweet cravings.
This gum used to be my absolute favourite…but now I’ve pretty much weaned myself off of it.
Yes, gum with sugar in it has more calories (like 5-10 more?! i.e. who cares), but if I’m going to have gum I’d rather go the chemical free version.
Hope you guys had an awesome Easter weekend! I know I did!
Are you a gum chewer? Do you know of any other good natural brands?
28 Responses to “Why I Don’t Chew Gum”
Leave a comment...I'd love to hear from you!